Monday, January 8, 2018

Crossing the Line


When you're caught, the other side
Take a look and maybe start
To take up your life again
Crossing the line
Hear your heart, don't be afraid
Passing through time
Spinning around the axis of a dream
Possibilities aren't always what they seem
Reject them and all your choices will be free
Crossing the line

-        Stomu Yamashta's Go – Crossing The Line

I feel almost complete right now in this pulse.  So I just want to pose one question.  Do you remember the time or times in your life when you crossed the line?  Whatever that means to you.

About 10 years ago I helped found a Toastmaster’s Club in my office. (Some of you may have to look that one up.)  The first speech you give is supposed to tell the audience something about yourself.   I had this idea of looking at all the nodes on my path that led me to that point in my life.  Sort of a recreational recaptitulation although I had not heard that word before.   I got drawn down that road and when I did my first trial run it ran over 20 minutes – for a 5 minute speech.  I tried and tried to condense it but it lost its essence and my own interest in it.  I ended up with a story about Elijah and a Halloween Park ride with an underlying message of creating our own realities.   It went over well as a speech but they didn’t know what to make of it in the context.  I never told anyone but I totally made the story up the night before.

But that was my first look at the incredible patterns that led each of us to where we are.   But what happens when you start looking at closer levels, it starts to change.  I thought of it like moving from the macro world to the quantum world and things start to lose their separateness, their suchness.   When I would look at what I saw as a nodal point in my life it lost its exactness.  There was no longer a specific point in time and space that the change happened.  A series of events led up to it.  And each event was not solid either.  And on and on.  It is sounds similar to mutation.  A mutation is not a single event although we conceptualize it like that.   The mutation begins long before it spreads.  And once it appears it takes as long to spread to the population if it is successful.

That is a long way of saying that personally I found that supposedly simple question quite hard to answer.  The answer would probably be along the lines of punctuated equilibrium that I talked about last time.  I am only aware of what has happened after the burst of change ripples through me.  


So, when did you cross the line?




Note: although the video says Steve Winwood the recording is from Stomu Yamashta's Go. Winwood was a part of the group and is the singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment